JOB DESCRIPTION: MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - SYSTEMONE
In Malawi, SystemOne is in the process of deploying, installing, maintaining and supporting a sustainable solution that reduces the time between HIV/VL (viral load) & EID (early infant diagnosis) sample collection and reporting of results to 700 HIV clinics.
The Aspect Reporter is a solar-powered terminal incorporating a server, low power management, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cellular communications and a Wi-Fi connected Android tablet that has been designed and manufactured to deliver HIV/VL results to the clinics over the cellular network throughout the country with integration with the national healthcare Information System.
Summary and Objectives
This is a contractor position, reporting to our Support Specialist in Johannesburg and collaborating with local team members and team members in the United States.
The initial contract period is one year, from May 22, 2017 to May 21, 2018, unless there are major changes in the project scope or term.
As the maintenance and support technician, you will be hired on a consulting basis responsible for performing diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain Aspect Reporter and Android tablets according to safety and maintenance systems and processes. You will be a key member of the team that maintains the functionality of RRT and supports the achievement of the program’s goals and objectives.
Day to day areas of responsibility to include (but not limited) to the following:
1. Perform highly diversified duties to install and maintain devices, resolve issues through diagnostic testing, and provide general technical troubleshooting, on-site repair and phone support to end-users.
2. First point of contact for response to emergency/unscheduled calls and queries from facilities where Aspect Reporters are installed and perform scheduled maintenance and repairs.
3. Use a variety of software diagnostic, system set-up, hand tools, electric and material handling equipment in performing duties, including but not limited to software, mechanical, electrical, troubleshooting and repair of devices
4. Detect faulty operations, defective material, repair and report those and any unusual situations to supervisor.
5. Identify spares requirements and maintain inventory control / log usage.
6. Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
7. The position is based in Lilongwe with some travel outside the area.
Experience and competencies
- Software configuration and troubleshooting with experience and knowledge of Command prompt, Linux, Android OS, browsers and router configuration
- Understanding and experience in electro-mechanical and IoT solutions
- Proven experience in maintenance and troubleshooting of computer hardware and software
- Understanding and experience in wireless communications including cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Basic understanding of low voltage power management, solar panels and single panel solar system installation and maintenance. Installation of solar panels in not required for this position.
- Knowledge of general maintenance methods and ability to communicate technical concepts effectively
- Good physical condition and strength with a willingness to work overtime and travel to rural sites for troubleshooting. Occasional overnight travel may be required
- Fluency in writing and speaking of local language and English
- Computer literacy (Windows OS, Office Suite, Skype and Internet Browser)
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and manage stress effectively in high-pressure situations
- Strong sense of discretion, practical mind, attention to detail and confidentiality required
A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle is required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice and as required by the project